Friday, June 27, 2008

inspired by wood marquetry to try something new


I just registered for a month-long course in Stone and Wood Carving at the Corcoran College of Art + Design. Description says: This short course focuses on direct carving in stone and wood. Students will explore abstract and objective forms while working on personally designed projects. There will be an emphasis on mastering carving techniques, including hand and power tools, and on exploring concept and composition within the subtractive context.

I've been itching to try my hand at a new medium; I feel its because I view photography as a literal art form since I mainly work in documentary or portraiture, not so much conceptual art. I became interested in woodwork because of this article in NYT about a woman who has essentially resurrected the popularity of the historical art of wood marqetry. In a nutshell, wood marquety is using wood veneers to create a scene or piece of work. The terms used for this is inlay and outlay; I don't know what they mean, but to me, I understand it as kind of a collage of wood veneer - each piece of veneer has a unique quality of grain and each piece contributes to a different section of the scene.

Take this detail of “Slab City” (2007) by Alison Elizabeth Taylor (which has been the centerpiece on my computer display for a month now). It's absolutely fascinating. Each section is a completely different piece of wood - the shadow under the van, the detail in reflection of the landscape on the car door - my untrained eye counts at least 8 different types of wood just in this part alone. It's like a sophisticated jigsaw puzzle!

I doubt my wood carving class will even broach the topic of wood marquetry, but not to worry, it's exciting to be creating something new!

Photo: Courtesy of the artist and James Cohan Gallery

No comments: