Wednesday, June 25, 2008

$170 Millon Park in NYC




The New York Times published an article about the highly anticipated High Line Park that will be built along the west side of the city. It's a very interesting read, but the slide show is what really caught my attention. The images are illustrative of the architects' visions of the park, but are beautiful in their own right.

What is gorgeous about them, in particular the three that I've posted here in this blog, is the use of mixed media: illustration, blueprint, computer assisted drawing (CAD), and photography.

My favourite is the first one. I love its simplicity, collage-like feel, and it's one-dimensionality (which is really cool given that most architectural specs are rendered in 3D), and how this very basic impression is elevated by the subtle yet detailed blueprint lines on the bottom and sides which requires the viewer to look closer at the image. I'm also drawn to the juxtaposition of the organic aspect of trees and soil against the rigid lines of the blueprint. The layering of the trees is also quite pretty. The colour scheme is what first drew me in - I'm very into the complementary relationship between deep pinks/purples and green right now - and the stark white background highlights the colours.

Whether or not the park will actually turn out like the images in this slide show, I'm excited for it to be built and to take a stroll down its walkways.


All images: Design by Field Operations and Diller Scofidio + Renfro. Courtesy of the City of New York.

No comments: