Friday, May 16, 2008

Thoughts on previous post, "What a cool life"

After I posted this earlier today, I kept thinking about what I had written; that I wanted to be better than Paul C. Pet. I wondered if it really was catty of me to say that, or if its just the reality of the industry right now. I feel that photography is at a point where there are few new revelations - people have taken photographs of the same image for centuries. I've had so many conversations with my boyfriend about this, how the world of photography is shifting to where success is dependent on the photog's perspective of the subject, and how the audience responds to it.

Geoff Dyer makes a great point in The Ongoing Moment (which won the ICP Infinity Award in 2006), stating:
"The only way to do this ("...to look at photographs to see what new knowledge I could derive from them") was to see how different people photographed the same thing."

I don't fully understand how I feel about this; it's not new to the field, and it's something that will most certainly continue into its future. All I can do in response is to continue learning and keep pushing myself to see in different ways.

No comments: