Thursday, April 10, 2008

photo blogs

It's become a daily habit of mine to check out the following photoblogs. I'm sure they are quite well known in the industry but for those who are like me and just starting to realise the wonder of cybercommunities, here's a quick synopsis:

[EV +/-] Exposure Compensation

This site is becoming one of my favourites. Miguel Garcia-Guzman covers a broad selection of photographers and styles, tips, and resources that always brings me back to his blog.

A Photo Editor

Rob Haggart's tongue in cheek site is very very informative about editorial photography. He recently held a Flickr photo promotion effort (my submissions didn't make the final cut, but its ok), which according to him "connect(s) photographers with buyers for FREE". I also really enjoyed his posting on photographers' websites.

Mrs Deane
A European take on the photo industry, and features a more international spectrum of photographers out there.

Conscientious
Jorg Colberg has some great insights, particularly on portraiture. However, the more I access this site, the more I notice that it is quite narrow in focus. The photogs profiled have feature aesthetics and subjects, particularly desaturated, low contrast portraits and landscapes. It's indicative of the market - lifestyle photography is huge right now and it seems like everyone is jumping on this bandwagon. My concern is that such profiling drives a very particular look which then affect the acceptance of other styles and visions.

The Year in Pictures
Hosted by James Danziger. Has interesting fodder, especially his insights into the industry as a leading New York City gallerist. As an aside, I personally believe that he has had a strong influence on the success of The Sartorialist.

Subjectify
I don't view this blog often, but it does feature some interesting photographers and I like her discussions.

No comments: