Monday, January 19, 2009

Obama love on U St.

My U St. neighbourhood was teeming with Obama love this weekend. This area is quickly becoming 'the' place to live and hang out, but true to DC style, the foot traffic is always relatively light except from 11pm onwards on Fridays and Saturdays.

This weekend, however, the sidewalks were packed with people. The line outside of Ben's Chili Bowl was ridiculous, winding outside the shop and down and around to the next corner, and it seemed like there were vendors hawking Obama memorabilia every couple of steps down the main drag, and even food vendors are getting in on the action - including a newly erected food stall at the Shaw Metro exit, offering pizza, burgers, hot dogs, everything!

It reminded me of NYC (more like Brooklyn, actually) and I felt slightly disoriented - in my 10 years here I've never felt such excitement and so much activity in DC. I love that DC is finally getting recognition and hopefully that recognition will shift from politics/law to our burgeoning arts and cultural scene.

But not everyone shares the love; I snapped this 'installation' piece on the corner of U and 9th.



Image © Tara Kocourek 2009

1 comment:

Sean Hennessey said...

The energy has been so deep! It's been great being in DC lately